Happy Friday! Hope you all had a rather decent week and are ready to celebrate your fathers this Sunday. (Ideally with some form of grilled meat and that cartoon character tie you know he\’ll love.) Here\’s my \”5 Things\” this week:
1) Today is Friday the 13th which is actually a lucky number in Italian culture. The number 17, however, is not so lucky. Supposedly it\’s because the number 17 in Roman numerals (XVII) can be rearranged to spell VIXI, the Latin word for \”I have lived\” which was printed on tombstones a long time ago. It\’s sort of like the number 4 which is unlucky in some Asian countries. Personally, I\’ve never given the concept of whether numbers are lucky or not much thought but I do consider Mondays in general to be a bit of a bane.
2) In honor of Babbo (my dad), I would love to share this recipe from Martha Stewart: Chocolate-Ricotta Icebox Cake. Good stuff and the bonus is that the amount of sugar that goes into the cake is pretty minimal (mostly depends upon the type of wafer cookies you choose) and the ricotta is good protein, too.
3) This week The Guardian published an enlightening (and amusing!) blog post called \”How to eat: a cream tea.\” Having had no idea that the topic could be so divisive, I found the writing to be very educational. My favorite quote is: \”The clue\’s in the name: tea and plenty of it, in pint mugs or a teapot big enough to hide a rabbit in.\” (I\’m going to Bed Bath&Beyond now to request a teapot large enough to hold a rabbit.)
4) You\’ve probably seen Dave Engledow\’s \”World\’s Best Father\” photo series but it\’s definitely worth another look if you need a giggle this week. His ideas are really clever and probably would make a great photo album for his daughter when she is older.
5) Lastly, check out Allison DeBona\’s Twitter feed (or the hashtag #artwithalli) to see some fun throwback recital pictures from fans. Very cute!
Okay, that\’s all for now. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!