Happy Friday! As I type we are experiencing yet another round of snow and it is nearly March! Well, at least the weather has given me the perfect excuse to delve back into my favorite books and films. And there is no better way to keep warm-at least to me-than with a cup of tea and Jane Austen:
1) Emma Thompson\’s fantastic Golden Globe speech from 1996 is so worth revisiting. She crafted the speech as she thought Austen herself might have written about the evening and it\’s so amusing… If you have the time, you should definitely watch Sense and Sensibility, too. I did. 🙂
2) Thanks to Netflix I discovered the miniseries Death Comes to Pemberly. It\’s based on the book that takes places several years after Pride and Prejudice and finds Wickham accused of murder. I won\’t say that the casting is fantastic (I\’m a little disappointed in the actress chosen to play Elizabeth) but it is an interesting story.
3) Check out the coolest Jane Austen mug ever! A friend got this for me and it is the perfect mug for tea and a good round of Persuasion. I just love it so much!
4) Speaking of Sense and Sensibility (I always want to re-read it after watching the film with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet), I came across this lovely passage in the book:
\”Know your own happiness. You want nothing but patience- or give it a more fascinating name, call it hope.\”
5) And last but certainly not least, I am on my annual re-read of Persuasion now and I highly recommend you check it out or at least watch the film featuring Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. The older I get the more I relate to Anne Elliot over Elizabeth Bennett. It\’s very interesting! (Warning: You may melt a little.)
Okay, that\’s all for now. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!